What’s covered in this article – click on a link to learn more:
- What Does Full-Service Mean?
- Full Service Moving Benefits
- How Does Full Service Moving Work?
- Factors to Consider When Choosing Full Service Moving
- Preparing For a Full Service Move
- Weighing Your Options
Moving can be stressful. In fact, according to a study by Move.org, 38% of people find moving more stressful than breaking up with a romantic partner. If you’re in that cohort, you should definitely consider the possibility of hiring full-service movers! Even if you’re not overwhelmed with the idea of planning and executing a move, you might be relieved to let someone else do the “heavy lifting” (we couldn’t resist). Read on to find out if a full-service move is the right choice for you.
What Does Full-Service Mean?
If you’ve never used full-service movers in the past, you may be curious as to what this type of move actually entails. The short answer is that a full-service move will be faster, easier, and less stressful than a DIY or partial-service move. That’s because the moving company will do it all for you, from packing to reassembling furniture. Here’s the basic elements you can expect to see as part of a full-service move:
- Packing: The company will provide packing materials and professionally pack your belongings to ensure they are secure and protected during the move.
- Furniture disassembly and assembly: Movers will disassemble large furniture items like beds, tables, and cabinets, then put it all back together in your new home.
- Loading and unloading: Full-service movers will load your belongings onto a moving truck, transport them to the new location, and unload them.
- Unpacking: Once the items have been delivered to your new location, full-service movers will assist with unpacking boxes and getting each piece of furniture in the correct location.
- Box removal: You won’t have to worry about disposing of all those used boxes. The moving truck will take them all away for you.
- Organization services: In some cases, moving companies can connect you with a team that helps you make decisions about how to set up a perfectly organized home.
- Storage: Many full-service moving companies offer storage solutions if you need to temporarily store your belongings before, during, or after the move.
- Specialty services: Full-service movers have the expertise to properly handle items that require extra care, such as fine art, antiques, pianos, or other fragile possessions.
- Insurance: Full-service moving companies will offer insurance options to protect your belongings during the move. It’s important to discuss the level of coverage and understand the terms of the insurance policy you choose.
Given all the stress-reducing features of this approach, you can expect a higher price point with a complete moving service. It’s important to compare and contrast with other options, such as DIY or partial-service moves. If you go that route, you will have to navigate the tasks on the list above (and more) on your own, so make sure you are up for the challenge!
Full-Service Moving Benefits
The benefits of full-service moving come down to convenience and peace of mind. When you opt for a full-service move, you free up your time and attention for the other important tasks that come with a move. Depending on your particular situation, this might look like getting your kids signed up for school or daycare, registering your vehicles, hiring landscapers, or establishing relationships with doctors, dentists, optometrists, and other practitioners. There are so many things to think about when moving, and the busier you are, the more sense it makes to consider going with the full-service option. Here are some things to think about:
- Feel more in control of all the moving parts with one streamlined process
- Focus on the exciting parts of the move instead of the stressful ones
- Save countless hours of preparation and organizing
- Gain peace of mind knowing that your belongings are being handled by professionals
- Protect your back on moving day with a dedicated team to pack, load, unload, and unpack your belongings
How Does Full-Service Moving Work?
The ultimate goal of a full-service move is a stress-free experience from start to finish.
Consultation and Assessment
The process kicks off with a consultation and assessment by the moving company. They may come to your home, or ask you to send a video that will help assess what will be required on moving day. You will have all the details ahead of time, and will work together with your team to choose the dates for the move well in advance.
Unlike partial-service movers who typically expect boxes to be packed upon arrival, full-service movers will actually pack the boxes for you. While it might take you days or weeks to pack up a house, a team of movers can pack up a 3-4 bedroom home in a matter of hours.
Quick and Organized
You can usually expect the movers to arrive at your home early in the morning to start packing up. The contents of each room will be labeled to ensure that it is placed in the correct location at the new home. If you want to combine the contents of several rooms at your new place, don’t forget to communicate with the movers so all boxes are properly labeled. You will be amazed at how quickly and efficiently they work, and in no time at all you will be standing in an empty home!
Load, Move and Unpack
Once everything is loaded onto the truck, everyone will head to the new home. How long this takes depends how far you’re moving. If it’s a fairly close move, the team may unload the boxes the same day. In this case, they will likely come back the following day to unpack everything and remove the boxes.
Disassemble and Reassemble
One of the best-loved features of a full-service move is that the team will expertly disassemble and reassemble your furniture! This includes large tables, beds, credenzas, or anything too large to move in one piece. Even if unpacking at the new home is scheduled for the next day, your team will take care to assemble items like beds and cribs on the day of the move so you’re not stuck sleeping on the floor.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Full-Service Moving
Cost: The cost of a full-service move will depend largely on the distance and size of the move. To help you get a better idea of what your outlay might be, try this moving cost calculator. The decision will come down to cost versus convenience, so if you can afford a higher price point, you can expect a much more hassle-free move experience.
Logistics: Are you moving out of state? Make sure the companies you’re looking into offer interstate moves. Full-service moving companies can assist with both long-distance and local moves, making them a versatile option for various relocation needs. How large is your home? Particularly if you have oversized furniture or outdoor items like playsets, be sure that the full-service mover you’re considering does not have space limitations that could complicate the process. If you have items like valuable art or sentimental heirloom pieces, get all the details about how sensitive items are handled so you feel comfortable with company protocol.
Trustworthiness: It’s important to do your research about what you should expect from a reputable moving company. You can start by googling “top full-service moving companies” in your area, but don’t forget to reach out directly to do your own research. Reading reviews is important, but you will want to do a gut-check as well about whether the company feels like the right fit when making this important decision. A moving company that does everything should not be difficult to locate, but that does not mean they are all reputable. Keep in mind that moving scams do happen in this industry, but you can avoid them by taking simple precautions.
Preparing For a Full-Service Move
The moving company you hire will likely share tips for ensuring a smooth move. With a few easy preparations, you can reduce the likelihood of any potential challenges arising on moving day.
How to prepare for full-service movers:
- Declutter your home
- Prepare your new space for arrival
- Communicate any special requirements to the moving company
- Get in the right frame of mind (you will be relinquishing some control over the moving process with a full-service move)
Weighing Your Options
The easiest way to achieve a stress-free move is to let an experienced, professional team provide a full-service experience. If your budget allows it, this is a wonderful opportunity to hit the ground running in your new home without months of unpacking and mess. Trust your instincts, do your research, and take advantage of all the information available on full-service movers in your area.